Where are parasympathetic preganglionic cell bodies located?
- dorsal root ganglia
- spinal cord
Which of the following statements about the parasympathetic nervous system is true?
- controls “fight or flight” response
- can reset organ function to the normal range
- transmits information from the skin to the central nervous system
- stimulates glycogen breakdown
Proper nervous system function involves various types of organic molecules. In particular, what is released by motor nerve endings onto muscle cells or tissue?
If the sensory-somatic nervous system of an animal is damaged, what might happen?
- enhanced processing of environmental information
- decreased digestion ability
- perpetually low heart rate
- impaired control of motor movements
The nervous system regulates proper processing of information and behavior control. The parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems are part of the _____ nervous system.
- “fight or flight”
Medications can be used to treat certain neurodevelopmental disorders. For example, which medications are often used to treat patients with ADHD?
- blood pressure medications
- anti-convulsant medications
If a child appears to have impaired social skills, such as difficulty reading social cues or making eye contact, what might they be tested for?
- major depression
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- autism spectrum disorder
Parkinson’s disease is a neurodegenerative disease that can produce symptoms such as tremors, slowed movement, speech changes, balance and posture problems, and rigid muscles. Parkinson’s disease is caused by the degeneration of neurons that release ____.